Thursday, March 17, 2005

Congressman Rob Portman (R-Ohio) Trade Representative

President Asks Portman to Join Cabinet

Washington, Mar 17 - Congressman Rob Portman (R-Ohio) issued the following statement today regarding President Bush's announcement to nominate Portman to his Cabinet as the next United States Trade Representative:

“I entered public service to make a difference in the lives of people, and it has been my highest honor to serve the people of Ohio’s Second Congressional District. President Bush has now asked me to join his Cabinet and serve our country in a different way. I want to thank my constituents for giving me the privilege of being their elected Representative for almost 12 years. The people of Southern Ohio and my hometown of Cincinnati have given me opportunities to serve in ways that I never dreamed possible. I am proud of our many accomplishments. I will be forever grateful for their friendship and trust.

“I am honored that President Bush has offered me the opportunity to serve as the United States Trade Representative. If the Senate should confirm my nomination, I look forward to serving the American people in this role. Open markets and strong trade relations are key components to a more peaceful, stable and prosperous world. Through expanded trade, the roots of democracy and freedom are deepened. Here at home, trade policy opens markets to create good jobs, a higher standard of living, and greater economic growth,” said Portman.

Prior to his election to Congress, Rob Portman was an associate in the Washington law firm of Patton Boggs from 1984-1986, where he specialized in international trade law. He then returned to his hometown of Cincinnati to work as a partner at the law firm of Graydon, Head and Ritchey from 1986-1989. From 1989-1991 he served in the first Bush White House as Associate Counsel to the President and later as Director of the White House Office of Legislative Affairs. Congressman Portman currently serves on the Ways and Means Committee and its Subcommittee on Trade. Portman is also the Vice Chairman of the Budget Committee and serves as the Chairman of the House Republican Leadership. -- END --

Contact: Kyle Downey SOURCE: President Asks Portman to Join Cabinet

No comments:

Post a Comment