Saturday, October 31, 2009

Scozzafava Drops Out of New York's 23rd district Congressional Race‎

Scozzafava Drops Out of New York's 23rd district Congressional Race‎

A Message from Dede

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Dear Friends and Supporters:
Dierdre 'Dede' ScozzafavaThroughout the course of my campaign for Congress, I have made the people of the 23rd District and the issues that affect them the focal point of my campaign. As a life long resident of this District, I care deeply and passionately about its people and our way of life. Whether as a candidate for Congress, a State Assemblywoman or a small town Mayor, I have always sought to act with the best interest of our District and its residents in mind—and today I again seek to act for the good of our community.

The opportunity to run as the Republican and Independence Party candidate to represent the 23rd District has been and remains one of the greatest honors of my life.
During the past several months, as I’ve traveled the district, meeting and talking with voters about the issues that matter most to them, I’ve been overwhelmed by the amount of support I’ve received as I sought to serve as their voice in Washington. However, as Winston Churchill once said, Democracy can be a fickle employer, and the road to public office is not always a smooth one.

In recent days, polls have indicated that my chances of winning this election are not as strong as we would like them to be. The reality that I’ve come to accept is that in today’s political arena, you must be able to back up your message with money—and as I’ve been outspent on both sides, I’ve been unable to effectively address many of the charges that have been made about my record. But as I’ve said from the start of this campaign, this election is not about me, it’s about the people of this District. And, as always, today I will do what I believe serves their interests best.

It is increasingly clear that pressure is mounting on many of my supporters to shift their support. Consequently, I hereby release those individuals who have endorsed and supported my campaign to transfer their support as they see fit to do so. I am and have always been a proud Republican. It is my hope that with my actions today, my Party will emerge stronger and our District and our nation can take an important step towards restoring the enduring strength and economic prosperity that has defined us for generations.

On Election Day my name will appear on the ballot, but victory is unlikely. To those who support me – and to those who choose not to – I offer my sincerest thanks.

Dede ###
Dierdre "Dede" Scozzafava Biography

Dierdre "Dede" Scozzafava is a lifelong North Country resident. She graduated from Gouverneur High School and earned a Bachelor of Science degree from the Boston University School of Management and a Masters in Business Administration from the Clarkson Graduate School of Management.

Prior to being elected to the New York State Assembly in 1998, Dede dedicated much of her life to public service. She served for four years as a Village of Gouverneur Trustee and was Mayor of the Village of Gouverneur from 1993 through 1998.

As a Member of the Assembly, Dede was appointed to the position of Minority Leader Pro Tempore for the Assembly Republican Conference. She is the first woman to ever hold such a prestigious leadership position. More commonly referred to as the 'floor leader,' the Minority Leader Pro Tempore is responsible for leading debates and driving forward the agenda of the conference.

Dede also serves on the Ways and Means, Rules, and Ethics and Guidance committees. Widely known for her bipartisan approach to governance, she frequently challenges her assembly colleagues to rise above politics so that the needs and concerns of New York State residents are fully addressed in the Legislature.

Dede has been a vocal advocate for Northern New York, holding forums and serving on a number of task forces to address the diverse needs of the North Country’s citizens. She has served as a member of the Manufacturing Task Force, the Hunting and Fishing Task Force, and has held hearings for the Task Force on Agriculture.

As chairwoman of the SAVE NY Task Force, Dede traveled throughout New York State to meet with various constituencies to develop and improve ways to protect New York’s women and children from domestic abuse and sexual violence. The task force played an integral role in raising awareness of these issues. A number of its proposals, including civil confinement of sex offenders and stiffer penalties under Megan’s Law, were adopted as legislation.

Dede is Vice President of SC Partners, LLC. She is a member of the First United Methodist Church in Gouverneur, Gouverneur Business Women, the Gouverneur Arts Club, the Thousand Island Girl Scouts Council, and the St. Lawrence County Farm Bureau.

Dede and her husband Ron reside in Gouverneur. They have four children, a son-in-law, a daughter-in-law, and four grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment