Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Dan Maffei conceding defeat to Ann Marie Buerkle in New York's 25th Congressional District

Dan Maffei

By Dan Maffei Copyright All rights reserved. This photo was taken on September 8, 2010 using a Nikon D60.
Open Letter from Dan Maffei:

To my friends, supporters and constituents,

I am deeply and forever grateful for the opportunity to serve you during the past two years. When I won the Congressional seat, I pledged to give it my all everyday and I did just that. I came home every weekend, stayed focused on local issues while supporting national policies beneficial to our region, and did my best to bring our troops home safely from Iraq and Afghanistan.
I served every day honored to live in a community where a shy kid of modest means from a proud Syracuse family and a graduate of the Syracuse public schools could grow up to earn the trust of his community to represent you in Congress. And I learned from you every day, listening to your stories and working tirelessly on your behalf.

My staff both in Washington and in Upstate New York was terrific. I helped them assist thousands of you with challenges ranging from not getting fair treatment from insurance companies and banks to getting life-saving Veterans benefits to keeping businesses open.

The electorate may have changed tremendously from 2008 to 2010 in terms of who turned out to vote but I kept my pledges to the people who elected me and I will forever be proud of that. Not only do I not apologize for my positions on the stimulus, the health care bill, financial reform, and the credit card bill, but my only regret is that there were not more opportunities to make healthcare more affordable to people and businesses and get more resources to the region for needed public projects - particularly transportation and public schools.

I am also deeply proud of my commitment to energy reform and mitigating global climate change. Thank you again to the experts and concerned citizens who stood by me. Denying the clear facts and need for action on this issue either out of political expediency or plain ignorance hurts our local economy and threatens our planet.

I make no apologies, except to my friends, supporters, and staff for the fact the final outcome was not what we wanted. I congratulate Congresswoman-elect Buerkle and her supporters and family. I wish her luck in the new Republican majority.

I made it to Congress - my dream - because of all the great Upstate New Yorkers who, like me, care so deeply about our future. And while the dream was short-lived, my gratitude is eternal.

TEXT CREDIT: Friends of Dan Maffei

No comments:

Post a Comment